Tuesday, February 14, 2017

OpenSim : HyperGrid : Seems as if the Singularity Viewer is Back Into the Swing of Things

By Avatar JayR Cela :

     My favorite viewer of choice ( at least for building ) is Singularity, second is FireStorm, and I am just dying to get my hands on the newest Alchemy viewer once a Linux version becomes available, Kokua is nice but I seldom use it, CoolVL no comment :_(

    Anyways since sadly Latif Chalifa passed away last year, until recently the development seems to have been dormant, not so now. I am happy to say that the Team Singularity seems to be pushing out a number of new updates on a semi regular basis, for Linux : Mac : Windows,  They just released x86_64-1.8.7.6919 and it is a great Test release, however I still am getting : "packet_out_of_order" error messages on the console with a small amount of grids that I have been trying to join. If you are experiencing the same, my recommendation  is to just use the FireStorm viewer.

    Now the Grids I belong to that are not showing these same errors, Singularity really shines threw  for my purposes, and that is Prim Building, you simply cannot beat it.

    So in closing, if you are a Prim Builder and would like to give the newest test versions of the Singularity viewer a try, you can drop on by the Alpha build(s) page.

http://alpha.singularityviewer.org/alpha/

JayR Cela :_)

9 comments:

Karl, the Incubus said...

Wonderful news, Singularity is vital for me, since I build in VARs abd it allows me to edit and move megaorims from and to great distances, way to gooooooo Singyyyyy

JayR Cela said...

Hi there Carlos

Thanks for your comment, I agree with you, for Prim building purposes the Singularity viewer is tuff to beat

JayR Cela :_)

Lord said...

Now Better With Bento !!! lol

JayR Cela said...

Hey there Lord

I am not sure if that applies to OpenSim or not / I'm just happy to see two new alpha releases within a month, and the team working out the bug's with the Linux version. I had a boatload of trouble with all of the previous 64bit builds on Debian8/*buntu16.04 distro's / I'm a happy camper again / LOL :_)

Thanks for uour comment :_)

JayR Cela :_)

Lord said...

BTW, outside of large prim building, I prefer Cool VL Viewer to all the others.

JayR Cela said...

Hi there Lord,

The last time I tried CoolVL it toasted all of my avatar settings on several grid's, so I am leary to give it a go again, but if you say it's OK, I'll give it another shot and post my results on this blog.

Thanks for the recommendation.

JayR Cela :_)

JayR Cela said...

Well Lord, I just tried CoolVL,
I am not going to do a review, because I feel that my comments would be mostly negative.

Sorry about that

JayR Cela :_(

Lord said...

Hey there JayR...not sure if your into Lua scripting...but Cool VL Viewer now has support in it to add Lua scripting to automate processes (and parcel windlight if you really want the resource overhead that comes with it). This allows people to do some things that they have wanted in Cool VL Viewer but which Henri wouldn't include due to trying to keep his viewer in LL's good graces as well as keep it the least resource hogging of the viewers out there.
Of course, you know that Henri is foremost a Linux programmer/advocate and develops his viewer on that platform first. Will have to get in touch with you inworld sometime ! -lord

JayR Cela said...

*Waves* / Hi there again Lord, I prefer to run my OpenSim Clients from the shell script in a console, (./singularity ) or (./firestorm ) so the CoolVL Installation routine that Henri insists upon using is an immediate and total turn off for me. Also there seems to be very limited to none, options for viewer GUI function customization.

I have spoken with Henri on several occasions, very nice person, and I love the fact that he has time and time again proven the Lab dead wrong that the V1 platform is not capable of doing what the V3 viewer can. Haaa-Haa - take that LL / LOL :_)

Unfortunately I have no interest or knowledge of the Lua scripting language, however. If you would like to consider doing a write up on Cool VL, I will be more than happy to have you here as a guest writer.

I don't spend much time in SL these days, but if you give me several days advance notice I can meet with you there. You can leave a message here or at
jayr.cela@gmail.com

Bye for now.

JayR Cela :_)