Saturday, December 10, 2016

OpenSim Hypergrid : Why Do I still Need Windows 10 : When I have Linux

By Avatar JayR Cela

    I gonna start this off by saying if you have Win10 Home Edition, you should seriously consider upgrading to Win10 Pro.

    Personally I have no love for Windows10, I use it because I have to for such increasingly decreasing reasons. To me it is a dual boot pain in the ass I only visit on Patch Tuesdays for the ridiculous cumulative update process that usually takes between 45 minutes to an hour or more to complete. Total garbage.

     Why do I still need it for OpenSim ?

      Good question, that I do not have an answer for, most all the servers I see in OS HG are Linux based. Actually an unofficial count is about 50/50

     I just cannot wrap myself around Win10, perhaps it is the same reason i just will never purchase any product from Apple. Each time I do a cumulative update on Win10, I need to go through my privacy settings and see what sort of telemetry settings have been changed back to defaults, of spying on everything I do. Screw these people, I'm tired of the games.

    It is such a pain in the ass, and is not even worth keeping the system up to date. And the biggest joke is the only time I actually use Windows10 is on the infamous Patch Tuesday. / LOL :_) So why bother ?

    Because there are some programs I use that only work properly under the native environment. I recently heard OZ Linden from Linden Lab ( SecondLife ) make the naive comment that in order for Linux User's to still be able to use voice chat, they should use Wine.

    This is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard yet from anyone in LL besides Ebbie Linden and his saying Project Sansar will be a big success.

    Oz obviously has no idea or has never even used Wine within a Linux environment, he is just rattling off some well known talking or bullet points.

    The bottom line is !!

You do not need Windows.

JayR Cela

No comments: