Monday, January 12, 2015

OpenSim : Getting Started : Organizing Your Inventory : FireStorm Viewer

By Avatar JayR Cela

    I don't seem to have as much time as I once did to post here on a regular basis, much of that has to do with my loss of interest in the SecondLife platform. However I have been experimenting quite a bit with it's soon to be nemesis OpenSim. I recently decided to settle down in 3rdRock Grid as my home base.




























    HyperGrid will be the next big thing, forget Oculus Rift and all the hype, thats great for a lot of purposes like engineering and CAD Design for Automobiles and Space Ships, but there is no way in hell I'm about to wear a cumbersome headset, just to hang out and chat with people, socialize and create virtual things. It's just over the top and unnecessary.

     Once I made the decision to commit to OpenSim : HyperGrid and 3rdRock something hit me in the head like a ton of bricks, after 9+ years in SecondLife, my inventory is a complete mess, and beyond the point of trying to organize it into something comprehensible and easy to navigate. Couple that with the fact that LL screwed everyone with the last 2 rounds of Terms of Service agreement's, and it will soon be going into the newer version SecondLife2, totally incompatible with the current version of SL, why even bother ?

    The point I am trying to make here is. Don't make the same mistakes I did in SL with my Inventory. HyperGrid is very different from SecondLife, first off it is not centrally controlled or operated by a single corporate entity. It truly is the Wild-Wild West of Virtual Reality, not for the faint hearted or those folks comfy in the closed and Walled Garden Approach used by SL. That is a total go nowhere concept in today's internet is everything world.

    FireStorm the most popular viewer for traveling the MetaVerse can be a pain in the ass to set up, but by far is undoubtedly the most versatile piece of software currently available for would be VW Travelers.  Once you do have it set up properly it is very easy to organize. Upon opening your inventory in FS, you will notice a small suitcase in the lower left hand corner, clicking on it will open a new inventory window, then all there is to it is a simple mater of dragging and dropping your items into the appropriate folder.

    Of course it is up to you to determine how you want to organize your stuff, my recommendation ?
If you plan on Grid Hopping organize your newly acquired items into folders named accordingly. 3rdRock / Kiteley / OSGrid etc...

JayR Cela :_)




No comments: